Poughkeepsie Day School employs a diverse, talented, and enthusiastic faculty, administration, and staff. Job openings are posted as they become available.
How to Apply
To express interest in posted positions and future employment* at PDS, please email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
*Note: If you choose to submit an unsolicited resume in anticipation of a position becoming available it will be kept on file for one year only.
Early Childhood Lead Teacher
Poughkeepsie Day School (PDS) is a progressive, coeducational, PreK–Grade 12 school. PDS distinguishes itself from other Hudson Valley independent schools by a commitment to a highly differentiated and interdisciplinary curriculum that is catered to each and every student. The school is committed to building a diverse and equitable community, based on inclusivity, accountability, and mutual respect.
PDS seeks an experienced educator to lead its early childhood program. The school values an inquiry-based, constructivist approach to instruction; responsiveness to student exploration; and the role of the teacher as a guide to student learning. Teachers are expected to design engaging, developmentally appropriate learning experiences for young children. Our faculty work collaboratively and develop an integrated approach to curriculum development. Candidates should have a deep understanding of child development and strong written and interpersonal communication skills. A commitment to ongoing professional growth is essential.
The successful candidate should be dynamic, energetic, and creative. This individual will lead a mixed-age classroom in the school and will work collaboratively with other team members for planning, assessment, and reporting.
- Plan and implement a developmentally appropriate curriculum for children aged 3–5 years old, built on social, emotional, and academic goals.
- Plan lessons and tailor instruction to meet students’ individual needs, based on classroom scope and sequence.
- Collaborate closely with specialist subject teachers about student progress.
- Coordinate with the school faculty, families, and outside support specialists to best support student growth.
- Communicate student progress and goals through family conferences, student reports, parent meetings, and emails.
- A Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) and a minimum of three years’ experience.
- Knowledge of developmentally appropriate curriculum.
- Ability to teach a range of learning styles, comfort with differentiated instruction.
- Experience in inquiry-based learning and teaching methodologies.
- Excellent communication skills, including written and oral.
- Passion for the age group, subject matter, and the craft of teaching.
- Curiosity, collaboration skills, flexibility, and a sense of humor.
- A commitment to diversity, equity, inclusivity, and social justice.
- Interest in professional growth and school-wide initiatives.
PDS strives to have its faculty, administration, and student body reflect the diversity of the society in which we live. The school is strongly committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of our school’s mission and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion, and respect for difference. Poughkeepsie Day School is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates from underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.