Poughkeepsie Day School employs a diverse, talented, and enthusiastic faculty, administration, and staff. Job openings are posted as they become available.
How to Apply
To express interest in posted positions and future employment* at PDS, please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
*Note: If you choose to submit an unsolicited resume in anticipation of a position becoming available it will be kept on file for one year only.
Part-Time: Middle School and High School Spanish Teacher
Poughkeepsie Day School seeks an experienced educator for Middle School and High School Spanish. PDS values an inquiry-based, constructivist approach to instruction; responsiveness to student exploration; and the role of teacher as a guide to student learning. Teachers are expected to design engaging, developmentally appropriate learning experiences for our students. Our faculty work collaboratively and develop an integrated approach to curriculum development. Candidates should have a deep understanding of child development with experience working with grades 5 – 12 and strong written and interpersonal communication skills. Strength and experience in working with grades 5 – 8 and an appreciation for the middle-school-aged child is required. A commitment to ongoing professional growth is essential.
- Plan and implement a developmentally appropriate curriculum, built on social, emotional, and academic goals.
- Plan lessons and tailor instruction to meet students’ individual needs, based on classroom scope and sequence.
- Coordinate with the school faculty, families, and outside support specialists to best support student growth.
- Communicate student progress and goals through family conferences, student reports, and parent meetings and emails.
Poughkeepsie Day School is a progressive, coeducational, PreK–Grade 12 school. PDS distinguishes itself from other Hudson Valley independent schools by a commitment to a highly differentiated and interdisciplinary curriculum that is catered to each and every student. The school is committed to building a diverse and equitable community, based on inclusivity, accountability, and mutual respect.
Poughkeepsie Day School strives to have its faculty, administration, and student body reflect the diversity of the society in which we live. PDS is strongly committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of our school’s mission and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion, and respect for difference. Poughkeepsie Day School is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates from underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply.
B.A. required. M.A. preferred. Salary commensurate with experience.
Previous teaching experience required.
- Knowledge of developmentally appropriate curriculum.
- Experience and comfort differentiating instruction.
- Committed to using a variety of instruction and assignment strategies.
- Experience in inquiry-based learning and teaching methodologies.
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral, verbal skills.
- Passion for the age group, subject matter, and for the craft of teaching.
- Curiosity, collaboration skills, flexibility, and a sense of humor.
- A commitment to diversity, equity, inclusivity, and social justice.
- Interest in professional growth and school-wide initiatives.
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required for the position.
Full-Time: Facilities Custodian
Poughkeepsie Day School seeks a full-time Facilities Custodian. Poughkeepsie Day School is a progressive, coeducational, PreK–Grade 12 school. PDS distinguishes itself from other Hudson Valley independent schools by a commitment to a highly differentiated and interdisciplinary curriculum that is catered to each and every student. The school is committed to building a diverse and equitable community, based on inclusivity, accountability, and mutual respect.
This is a salaried position, so hours may vary. Regular hours will be 10 am – 6 pm, with an earlier start-time on days when snow and ice need to be cleared before employees, families, and students can enter school grounds.
The Facilities Custodian will be responsible for janitorial services, along with basic repairs. Responsibilities include:
- Cleaning all rooms, including classrooms, bathrooms, hallways, and admin offices every day (see attached schedule for details) using covid protocols. This will include trash removal
- A twice-daily walk-through of all bathrooms, making sure soap, towels, and other supplies are stocked
- Daily blowing off sidewalks and entry-ways to the main building (including gym and playground) and regular checks of our Kenyon administrative building
- Regular pickup and installation of various event and admission signs in outside racks on roadway signs
- Making minor repairs and upgrades throughout the school as needed, including classrooms, common rooms, and bathrooms. This will include painting, changing light bulbs and other routine repairs
- Setting up events requiring set-up and break-down with chairs, tables, both inside the building and on the grounds. This includes arranging for pick-up and return of any rented items
- Being on-call for fire and burglar alarms, along with the head of school, director of operations, and facilities manager
- Setting up the gym and other spaces for outside renters
- Maintaining outside learning and play spaces, including setting and taking down tents and furniture
- Handing minor snow removal (using a shovel and snowblower) and sanding sidewalks and school entrances before school or when school is in session
- Setting up classroom fans and making sure that hand-sanitizing stations are maintained
- Assisting with bus duty at daily student departure time (around 3 pm)
Poughkeepsie Day School strives to have its faculty, staff, administration, and student body reflect the diversity of the society in which we live. PDS is strongly committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of our school’s mission and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion, and respect for difference. Poughkeepsie Day School is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates from underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply.