Poughkeepsie Day School employs a diverse, talented, and enthusiastic faculty, administration, and staff. Job openings are posted as they become available.
How to Apply
To express interest in posted positions and future employment* at PDS, please email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
*Note: If you choose to submit an unsolicited resume in anticipation of a position becoming available it will be kept on file for one year only.
Upper School Spanish Teacher
Poughkeepsie Day School seeks an experienced educator for Upper School Spanish (part-time). PDS values an inquiry-based, constructivist approach to instruction; responsiveness to student exploration; and the role of teacher as a guide to student learning. Teachers are expected to design engaging, developmentally appropriate learning experiences for our students. Our faculty work collaboratively and develop an integrated approach to curriculum development. Candidates should have a deep understanding of child development with experience working with grades 5 – 12 and strong written and interpersonal communication skills. Strength and experience in working with grades 5 – 8 and an appreciation for the middle-school-aged child is required. A commitment to ongoing professional growth is essential.
- Plan and implement a developmentally appropriate curriculum, built on social, emotional, and academic goals.
- Plan lessons and tailor instruction to meet students’ individual needs, based on classroom scope and sequence.
- Coordinate with the school faculty, families, and outside support specialists to best support student growth.
- Communicate student progress and goals through family conferences, student reports, and parent meetings and emails.
Poughkeepsie Day School is a progressive, coeducational, PreK–Grade 12 school. PDS distinguishes itself from other Hudson Valley independent schools by a commitment to a highly differentiated and interdisciplinary curriculum that is catered to each and every student. The school is committed to building a diverse and equitable community, based on inclusivity, accountability, and mutual respect.
Poughkeepsie Day School strives to have its faculty, administration, and student body reflect the diversity of the society in which we live. PDS is strongly committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of our school’s mission and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion, and respect for difference. Poughkeepsie Day School is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates from underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply.
B.A. required. M.A. preferred. Salary commensurate with experience.
Previous teaching experience required.
- Knowledge of developmentally appropriate curriculum.
- Experience and comfort differentiating instruction.
- Committed to using a variety of instruction and assignment strategies.
- Experience in inquiry-based learning and teaching methodologies.
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral, verbal skills.
- Passion for the age group, subject matter, and for the craft of teaching.
- Curiosity, collaboration skills, flexibility, and a sense of humor.
- A commitment to diversity, equity, inclusivity, and social justice.
- Interest in professional growth and school-wide initiatives.
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required for the position.