Poughkeepsie Day School employs a diverse, talented and enthusiastic faculty, administration and staff. Job openings are posted as they become available.
Upper School Spanish Teacher
Poughkeepsie Day School has an opening for a full-time Spanish teacher for middle and high school. We are seeking an experienced educator to teach a progressive, active, student-centered program. Our teachers work collaboratively and design multi-disciplinary experiences for students in all grades; enthusiasm for engaging in all aspects of the school program is essential. Ability to teach in a second subject area a plus.
B.A. required; M.A. preferred. Experience in independent schools preferred.
High School Science Teacher
Poughkeepsie Day School is seeking a full-time science teacher for grades 9–12.
Candidates must be able to teach chemistry courses, with the ability to teach additional science subjects and upper middle school grades as needed. Candidates should have experience in use of emerging technologies to enhance learning and student engagement. The position requires a creative and constructivist approach and experience with creating active and interactive learning and engaging students with science. The position also serves as a student advisor.
B.A. required; M.A. preferred. Previous experience teaching in a school required; experience in an independent school preferred.
Director of College Counseling
Poughkeepsie Day School is seeking an accomplished and experienced college counselor to head its college counseling program.
Responsibilities include establishing and sustaining relationships with college admissions offices; visiting college and university campuses; representing PDS at professional conferences; and organizing multiple annual events for students and their parents. The director also personally advises and supports the senior class and their families and writes letters of recommendation for seniors, and supports the junior class college preparation process.
B.A. degree (M.A. preferred). Experience in the field of college counseling and thorough knowledge of Naviance are required. Excellent interpersonal, organization, writing and communication skills are essential.
The position begins July 1, 2016. While the position will be open until filled, we are motivated to hire the right candidate as soon as possible.
Please send a letter of interest, a résumé and a list of references via email.
Poughkeepsie Day School is accepting applications for the position of Business Manager.
The Business Manager reports to the Head of School as a member of the administrative team, supports the Board of Trustees and its committee work, provides leadership and management of the school’s operating budget and is responsible for the supervision, coordination and administration of all aspects of the school’s business office. The Business Manager provides strategic counsel and guidance to the Head of School and the Board of Trustees to ensure the long-term fiscal health of the institution.
The Business Manager manages and directs all of Poughkeepsie Day School’s business practices and operations, including finance, investments, human resources, legal and risk management, accounting and other functions as necessary. The Business Manager is responsible for planning, budgeting, financial management, cash and endowment management, payroll and benefits management and other human resources matters. The Business Manager also works closely on financial matters with the advancement team, buildings and grounds personnel, the school nurse, food service and athletics.
The Business Manager provides strategic counsel and guidance to the Head of School and the Board of Trustees to ensure the long-term fiscal health of the institution.
Qualifications and Experience
- B.A. required. MBA or equivalent master’s degree or CPA preferred.
- 5+ years’ experience in a leadership position in finance, business and/or related field.
- Experience in an educational and/or not-for-profit environment; experience in independent schools or with New York State non-profit a plus.
- Experience of final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination for a significant program area.
- Experience overseeing a human resources function.
- A high degree of professionalism, sound judgment, ethical standards and integrity, discretion and confidentiality.
- Strong managerial, leadership, business experience and financial skills are essential.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- Excellent technology skills (including accounting and reporting software) to enhance the efficiency and functionality of the Business Office.
- An understanding of, and respect for, the mission and culture of Poughkeepsie Day School and a willingness to contribute to the Poughkeepsie Day School community is crucial.
- Collegiality, strong interpersonal skills and an ability to relate well with all constituents of the community are essential.
- Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; collate financial reporting materials for all donor segments; oversee all financial accounting.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, work in conjunction with external auditors and the appropriate committees of the Board of Trustees; assess any changes necessary.
- Oversee annual budgeting and planning process, in conjunction with the Head of School, other members of the administrative team and the Finance Committee of the Board; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes and keep the senior leadership team and Board of Trustees abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Oversee a robust contracts management and financial management/reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
- Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve and update the Business Office’s policy and procedure manual.
- Further develop Poughkeepsie Day School’s human resources administration, enhancing compensation and benefits, performance evaluation, training and recruiting.
- Work with all external partners, including third-party vendors and consultants.
- Ensure that recruiting processes comply with current HR law.
- Establish and manage a program to educate new and current employees regarding staff resources, policies and procedures. Keep employee handbook updated with NYS and federal law.
- Assist employees with questions about benefits and salary.
- Translate financial concepts to and collaborate patiently with colleagues who may not have finance backgrounds.
- Oversee administrative functions, including supervision of buildings and grounds, to ensure efficient and consistent operation.
Lower School Head Teachers
Poughkeepsie Day School is seeking lower school classroom teachers for anticipated openings for the 2016-2017 school year. PDS values an inquiry based, constructivist approach to instruction; responsiveness to student exploration; and the role of teacher as a guide to student learning. Teachers are expected to design engaging, developmentally appropriate learning experiences for young children. Our faculty work collaboratively with colleagues and develop an integrated approach to curriculum. Candidates should have strong written and interpersonal communication skills and the ability to use various forms of technology to enhance student learning. A commitment to ongoing professional growth is essential.
B.A. required. M.A. preferred. Salary commensurate with experience.
Previous teaching experience required.
Lower School Assistant Teachers
Poughkeepsie Day School is seeking assistant teachers for anticipated openings in the lower school for the 2016-2017 school year. Candidates must be comfortable collaborating with the head teacher on curriculum development and planning and demonstrate a commitment to ongoing professional growth. They must also have an understanding of and interest in progressive/constructivist practices and principles, along with a desire to work with colleagues on an integrated approach to curriculum.
Bachelor’s degree required. M.A. or enrollment in a graduate education program preferred.
Previous experience working with a variety of learners in a school setting is required.
Mandarin Teacher / After-school Enrichment Program
Poughkeepsie Day School is seeking a Mandarin Teacher for our after-school enrichment program for grades pre-k through 6. Sessions run once a week, from 3:15 to 5:30pm. Candidates may select the day of their preference:
- Mondays (from April 4 through May 23)
- Tuesdays (from April 5 through May 24)
- Wednesdays (from April 6 through May 25)
- Thursdays (from April 7 through May 26)
- Fridays (from April 8 through May 27)
Qualifications include previous teaching experience and a creative approach to language acquisition for young learners.
Lower School Teacher (1-Year Maternity Leave Replacement)
Poughkeepsie Day School is seeking an experienced early childhood educator for the upcoming school year. This one-year leave replacement will be a head teaching position in either pre-k (3s and 4s) or kindergarten. Our teachers work collaboratively and design engaging, developmentally appropriate learning experiences for young students.
B.A. required: M.A. preferred. Salary commensurate with experience.
Previous teaching experience required.
Boys Varsity Basketball Head Coach
Poughkeepsie Day School is seeking a coach for our boys varsity basketball team, beginning in late November. Applicants should be knowledgeable in basketball skills and tactics, responsible and reliable and able to work well with high school students.
After-school Program Assistants
Poughkeepsie day School is seeking several assistants for our after-school program. Hours are from 2:30 to 6:00pm. This is a part-time position, running daily whenever school is open.
Important qualifications, along with a genuine interest and delight in the wellbeing and happiness of children, include the ability to:
- take responsibility and work as a team
- recognize how and when to offer support and guidance
- maintain calm in periods of intense activity
- interact and communicate well with parents
Personal hobbies and skills are helpful, including: musical ability, theater experience, athletic skills, practice in any of the visual arts and crafts, etc.
Previous experience working with children is essential. The position offers excellent experience for applicants seeking a career in education.
Poughkeepsie Day School is seeking per diem substitute teachers in a variety of subjects for all three academic divisions: lower, middle and high school.
The school day runs from 8:15am to 3:15pm.
B.A. required. New York State certification preferred.
How to Apply
To express interest in posted positions and future employment* at PDS, please send a resume and cover letter to:
Poughkeepsie Day School
Attn: Victoria Mayes, Assistant to the Head of School
260 Boardman Road
Poughkeepsie, NY 12603
*Note: If you choose to submit an unsolicited resume in anticipation of a position becoming available it will be kept on file for one year only.